0:00: With the hosts being unable to talk about what they’ve been up to and not too many pandemic news in Japan (Aside from it being the usual), Justin and Helen get into the news that’s happened, starting with Ultra+ partnering with Crunchyroll.
- Tofuro Futsukaichi & KEI’s It’s a Little Hard to be a Villainess of an Otome Game in Modern Society (Airship)
- Hisaya Amagishi, Megumi Sumikawa, & KEI’s Magic Artisan Dahlia Wilts No More
- Wadapen’s Wicked Trapper: Hunter of Heroes (Ghost Ship)
- Asuka Miyazaki’s X-Gender
- Satoshi Mizukami’s World End Solte
- Azusa Banjo’s I Think I Turned My Childhood Friend Into a Girl
- Syougo Kinugasa & Tomoseshunsaku’s Classroom of the Elite: Year 2 (Airship)
Justin also wonders about World End Solte coming out digitally–*reads the fine PR* ok, so maybe Justin didn’t quite read the fine PR when it was announced…
8:01: Yen Press had their announcements to end September:
- Teren Mikami & Yūki Nanaji’s If You Could See Love (digital manga slated for October)
- Ceez, Dashio Tsukimi, & Tenmaso’s In the Land of Leadale (manga, YP already has LN)
- Miku, Rein Kuwashima’s I Got a Cheat Skill in Another World
- Piero Karasu & Yuri Kisaragi’s The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess and the Genius Young Lady
- Keiso & Kureta’s Ishura
- Yukito Ayatsuji’s Another 2001
9:43: J-Novel Club has announced the following titles on their Twitch stream a few weeks ago:
- Suzu Enoshima & Eihi’s Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainess Lieselotte
- Riku Nanano & cura’s Private Tutor to the Duke’s Daughter
- Kazamidori & Nimoshi’s Goodbye Otherworld, See You Tomorrow
- The LN and manga version of Isle Osaki’s Full Clearing Another World under a Goddess with Zero Believers
11:09: futekiya announced they’ve licensed 10 BL manga:
- 4 Kazuma Kodaka manga (KIZUNA, KIZUNA after story, Hana to Ryu ～KIZUNA Spin off～, GUN & HEAVEN)
- 3 Hiromi Toribito manga (Caramel Espresso, Caramel Flavor, Jouzetsu na Shichakushitsu)
- Sonoo Michiru’s Joushitsu na Otoko to H
- Otokichi’s Kimi ga Iru Heya
- Sasaru Imai’s Koi wa Chihyou Minus 2 Meters
11:55: Azuki now have select Glacier Bay Books and Star Fruit Books titles on their service; and Star Fruit Books will publish Sangatou’s grin grin grin; Drawn & Quarterly will be publishing a compiled edition of Murasaki Yamada’s Talk to My Back for Summer 2022.
12:57: So Rightstuf and TOKYOPOP is attempting to reprint Aria the Masterpiece, though that has certain conditions it has to fulfill before it’s automatic. Ed Chavez explains why it’s being done this way.
14:40: So Demon Slayer season 2 will begin airing…in December. For October, they’re actually going to do a recut of the Mugen Train film. Justin attempts to say how Crunchyroll is the one benefiting from that decision.
18:09: Sentai is releasing the first two episodes and one dubbed episode of the upcoming Lupin the 3rd: Part 6 anime in theaters this month.
19:10: GKIDS has licensed Pompo: The Cinéphile, and it’ll be in theaters sometime in 2022.
19:53: Netflix will stream the Super Crooks anime November 25; Violet Evergarden: the Movie October 13; Studio Colorido’s newest film, Drifting Home, will stream in 2022; and Komi Can’t Communicate will air outside Japan in two weeks.
21:48: Funimation just added a bunch of anime to their service:
- Aria the Animation
- Aria the Natural
- Aria the OVA ~Arietta~
- Aria the Origination
- Aria the Avvenire
- Gakuen Alice
- Date A Bullet: Dead or Bullet
- Gekijōban Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment
- Sekai Ichi Hatsukoi: The Case of Takafumi Yokozawa
- Sekaiichi Hatsukoi: Propose-hen (Episode Proposal)
22:52: Justin doesn’t have a problem with Gintama: The Very Final Film making its premiere in the Javits Center, though the dub doesn’t draw his interest. But…at NYCC and not Anime NYC? Justin has a problem with that.
Summer Anime 2021: Wrap-Up
25:14: Justin and Helen talk about the anime season, which, all things considered…wasn’t very strong. Kinda expected it going in, but was a pretty reserved season. That said, there were some stuff worth watching (Kageki Shojo!!, Realist Hero, Case Study of Vanitas), one anime where the two hosts have divided opinions on (Aquatope), and generally speaking, sequels and continuations dominating what was enjoyable (Slime S2 Part 2, though both hosts admit it’s a step down from P1, Dragon Maid S, Iruma-kun S2, To Your Eternity, Tokyo Revengers).
You can hear Justin talk about the worst anime he’s watched for essentially a year though (Digimon Adventure 2020, 34:00)
1:34:41: Ufotable founder Hikari Kondo admitted they evaded paying a lot of money, and, well, the two hosts are not impressed.
1:36:03: NFT’s are apparently here to stay, as Hiroya Oku’s now joining in on the fun!…Is NFT’s fun?
1:37:19: Now there are people who can indeed become Seto Kaiba.
1:38:21: To promote the upcoming A Couple of Cuckoos anime, the series has a new crossover! This time with Overlord!…and they did a clothes swap. It’s exactly as glorious as you’d expect. Somehow this reminded Helen of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy.