0:00: Justin and Helen once again discuss a bunch of stuff over internet, just this time under different mindsets. Despite that Justin persists in discussing stuff aside from his convention trip first because he had to wax poetic about a few shoujo works and an Instant Death light novel.
6:22: Last episode the two hosts talked about Kadokawa’s marketing strategy and anime overseas promotion; this episode, Netflix has it’s time to shine!
10:55: Justin and Helen take note of Shueisha and three other publishers getting permission to sue pirate site Manga Bank, but getting the ok from a California court.
12:15: Speaking of Shueisha, print circulation of their major magazine, Weekly Shonen Jump, is now below 1.4 million…that’s pretty low.
13:33: Diamond Comic Distributors got hit by a ransomware attack, which affected the companies’ websites and order processes.
14:53: The latest My Hero Academia film did numbers in the North American box office, which also leads into a question of how picky Helen is compared to her brother.
16:06: Tencent recently acquired a game studio, which follows up with them recently acquiring a small stake in Kadokawa.
Anime NYC + Licenses!
18:45: Justin talks about the Anime NYC experience in voice form. You can check out his written thoughts about the convention, but he discusses how he felt about returning to a convention and some of the major issues that took place over the weekend. He’s sure you all know what happened Friday.
31:49: Yen Press had a good amount of licenses:
- Magica Quartet & U35’s Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Another Story manga
- Bobcat, Hiromu & raemz’s Chitose-kun Is In the Ramune Bottle manga
- Keishi Ayasato & Karuki Mura’s The Bride of Demise LN
- Buncololi & Kantoku’s Sasaki and Pichan LN
- Kamada, Eiko Mutsuhana, & Vient’s Hi, I’m a Witch, and My Crush Wants Me to Make a Love Potion manga
- Kazuki Irodori, Wakatsu Yatsuki, & Kikka Ohashi‘s The Other World’s Books Depend on the Bean Counter manga
- Shinichirou Nariie’s See You Tomorrow at the Food Court
- kyuryuZ’s Nights with a Cat
- Ko-dai;s The Geek Ex-Hitman
- Yen Press also announced that it will begin digitally publishing chapters of Yuu Kamiya’s No Game, No Life light novels, beginning with the prologue chapter of the novel series’ 11th volume, which will debut on November 25 alongside the volume’s Japanese release.
- YP also had a Yen Audio panel where Justin remembered they turn the following into audiobooks: Spice and Wolf, So I’m a Spider, So What, and Rascal Does Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.
37:05: J-Novel Club also had a ton of announcements:
- Kota Nozomi & Oniku (029)’s When Supernatural Battles Became Commonplace
- You Fuguruma & Nama’s Housekeeping Mage from Another World: Making Your Adventures Feel Like Home! (J-Novel Heart)
- Hibiki Yamazaki & Tetsuro Nabeshima’s Prison Life is Easy for a Villainess (J-Novel Heart)
- Jō Takezuki & Shirabii’s Fantasy Inbound
- Mizuho Itsuki & Neko Nekobyō’s To Another World… with Land Mines!
- Hiro Oda & Tobi’s Forget Being the Villainess, I Want to Be an Adventurer! (J-Novel Heart)
- Kyōsuke Kamishiro & Takayaki’s My Stepmom’s Daughter Is My Ex
- Tarō Hitsuji & Asagi Tōsaka’s Magic Knight of the Old Ways
- Inumajin & Falmaro’s Saint? No! I’m Just a Passing Beast Tamer!
- Tamamaru & Kinta’s My Quiet Blacksmith Life in Another World
- J-Novel Club also announced they’ll be doing audiobooks, beginning with The Slayers...which had one of the more impactful reveals that as of today has not been recorded!
43:06: Now here’s what Kodansha licensed, starting with their December digital debuts:
- TNSK’s My Master Has No Tail (December 7)
- Hiroyuki Takei, Jet Kusamura, & Kyo Nuesawa’s SHAMAN KING & a Garden (December 14)
- Yuki Narumi’s My Darling, the Company President (December 21)
- December 616th Special Information Battalion, Akira Minamoto, Kona Warita, & Eiri Iwamoto’s Her Majesty’s Swarm (December 28)
Then their slated Fall 2022 lineup:
- Fujino Omori & Toshi Aoi’s Wistoria: Wand and Sword
- Negi Haruba’s Go, Go, Loser Ranger!
- Battan’s Run Away With Me, Girl
- Yuhki Kamatani’s Shonen Note: Boy Soprano
- Jinei Mirai & Natsumi Inoue’s As a Reincarnated Aristocrat, I’ll Use My Appraisal Skill to Rise in the World
- Taka Aki’s Miss Miyazen Would Love to Get Closer to You
- Shuzo Oshimi’s Avant-garde Yumeko
- Tomoko Boryoku’s An Older Guy’s VR First Love
They will then release the following the five manga in print and the rest in special formats:
- Nana Mikoshiba, Norihito Sasaki, & Riko Korie’s The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World
- Mika Yamamori’s In the Clear Moonlit Dusk
- Kenkyo na Circle, Yosuke Kokuzawa, & Meru.’s I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince so I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability
- Katarina & Ryousuke Fuji’s Shangri-La Frontier
- Masaaki Nakayama’s PTSD Radio (in 2-on-1)
- Box sets of Kintetsu Yamada’s Sweat and Soap, Fujita’s Wotakoi, Reiji Miyajima’s Rent-A-Girlfriend, & Nanashi’s Don’t Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
- Adachitoka’s Noragami, Atsushi Ohkubo’s Fire Force, and Atsuko Asano & Hinoki Kino’s No.6 as omnibus editions; A fully compiled hardcover edition of Masamune Shirow’s The Ghost in the Shell
57:10: Comikey also had a bunch of announcements:
- Shinkoshoto, Tomozo, Nanora, & Itsuki Watanabe’s I Think I’ll Cheat to Become a Spellsword in Another World
- Karaku Yuki, Pairan, & Shotarou Kunitomo’s The Executed Sage Who Was Reincarnated as a Lich and Started an All-Out War
- Arata Shiraishi & Kentarou’s From Overshadowed to Overpowered: Second Reincarnation of a Talentless Sage
- Myōjin Katō, Sao Mizuno & Misuho Kobota’s The Greatest Demon Lord is Reborn as a Typical Nobody
- Yūki Yaku, fly, & Eight Chida’s Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki
- Shinji Cobkubo & Yusuke Takahashi’s Rust-Eater Bisco
- Mujirushi Shimazaki & Hama’s The Necromancer Maid
- Hozumi Mitaka, Yuuhi, j1 Kaido, Aoi Yumitori, & Roku Hiraishi’s The Impregnable Demon King’s Castle and the Expelled Black Mage of the Hero’s Party
- Zero Ainan’s Goodbye, Eden
- Takashi Hazama & Hige’s Asahina Wakaba & Her Chubby-Chubby Boyfriend
- Shinkoshoto, Kaito Shibano & Miso Sato’s The Unrivaled Reincarnated Sage of Another World ~The Strongest in Another World Through Game Knowledges~
- Ezogingitune, DeeCHA, Chaco Abeno, Kitsune Tennoji’s I Became a Legend after My 10 Year-Long Last Stand
- Ezogingitune, TEDDY, & Masaki Ayano’s The Strongest Wizard Becomes a Countryside Guard After Taking an Arrow to the Knee
- Comikey also announced it is partnering with Soran Books to publish the following Korean Webtoon: Americano Exodus by PARK Ji-Eun
1:02:47: Wattpad Webtoon Studios announced on Thursday that it has launched a new imprint named Webtoon Unscrolled to publish graphic novels from Webtoon comics, beginning with:
- SIU’s Tower of God
- Yaongyi’s True Beauty
- Blue-Deep’s Doom Breaker
- LambCat’s Cursed Princess Club
- Refrainbow’s Boyfriends
- Mike Berchall’s Everything is Fine
1:04:41: Yes Seven Seas announced a big thing this past Wednesday, but Justin and Helen recorded this episode prior to that, so the two only talk about what they announced the prior two Wednesdays:
- Syundei’s Go for It Again, Nakamura!
- Keisuke Makino & KAREI’s Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut (Airship)
- Sui Hutami’s Dungeon People
- Horitomo’s I Am Not a Succubus! (Ghost Ship)
1:06:15: Manga Planet will finally add the Kodansha titles to their service this month; Discotek announced the anime they’ll be releasing physically in the next couple months; and Sentai licensed Hareluya II Boy.
1:07:34: HIDIVE is now streaming the The Magnificent KOTOBUKI compilation film and the School-Live live-action film.
1:07:54: Netflix had their Netflix Festival Japan a few weeks ago, and here’s what they announced:
- Tiger & Bunny 2 (April 2022, first 13 episodes)
- JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Part 6: Stone Ocean (December 1, first 12 episodes)
- Thermae Romae Novae will air in 2022 (was planned for 2021, previously announced at their 2020 Festival)
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 S2 (2022)
- Vampire in the Garden (pushed to 2022, was previously mentioned back in 2019)
- Kotaro Lives Alone (Spring 2022, was announced a few months ago)
- Two Detective Conan Spinoffs: Zero’s Tea Time & The Culprit Hanzawa
- Mitsuo Ito’s The Orbital Children (January 28)
- The Seven Deadly Sins: Grudge of Edinburgh film (will be in two parts, air in 2022)
- Kakegurui Twin (August 2022)
- A space horror anime called Exception (2022)
1:12:06: Netflix will also be removing the 1986 version of the Saint Seiya anime December 14.
1:15:38: Now onto one of the weirdest news of the year: Rep. Paul Gosar sent out on social media an anti-immigration video involving Attack on Titan. Justin and Helen can only just go, “what”
Meanwhile The Japanese staff for AoT halted sales for producing Eldian armbands…because that sounds like a yikes idea. Both hosts are wondering how it even got this far.
1:19:21: Ya Boy Kongming! is getting an anime. Which ordinarily wouldn’t be notable except this will mark a first for the studio adapting it, P.A. Works.
1:20:44: Welp, the Takt op. smartphone game has been delayed to next year. So much for the anime synergy.
1:23:23: When Naruto was thought about many years ago, it mixing with Fortnite was probably never in Kishimoto’s mind…but it is now.
1:24:45: Gantz creator Hiroya Oku found out recently that Gantz finally did get a director, but wasn’t told by Sony himself. That’s definitely weird.
1:27:00: In Japan, seeing Godzilla and Hamtaro as a double feature film sure is something unusual, but it’s gonna happen!